Monday, September 21, 2009

National Tie



Made of our national skirt fabric, this pattern is from the region of Kadrina-Ilumäe.
You can buy these fabrics from Eesti Käsitöö shops in Tallinn, 3 are located in the Old Town on Pikk street and one smaller in Viru Cenre. They are pricy, but definitely worth the cost.

I was a bit afraid before starting to sew as I had never seen a tie made from this fabric and -- as we are talking about thick woolen fabric -- there could have been a practical reason for it. But in the end it turned out quite well. Please consider that this is the first time I sew a tie, people with more experience will definitely get a better result.
As I couldn't find a good pattern from the internet, I bought a silk tie from a thrift store in The Central Market, took it apart and used it as a pattern.
I would also suggest not to put in the thick white fabric that is in every tie (I really can not rembember the name). Instead I cut out a same shaped piece from lining fabric and used that (it is neccessary for folding).
As for the thickness, it is possible to tie it and wear it. The biggest negative side is that it needs to be (carefully) ironed before wearing (We were too lazy to iron it before taking the picture).

Never forget that the stripes have to be vertical!

Photos by Mare Sabolotny. 10th of September, 2009 in Brussels, Belgium.

No comments: